Fast forward to today... I am keenly aware of the importance of protecting our environment. I try to work eco-friendly products into my purchases which is no easy task. It is a commitment that requires time spent in product research. If you're scratching your head wondering how you would find the time, try taking a baby-step in the eco-friendly direction. Celebrate Earth Day this Sunday by doing one eco-friendly activity. And since this blog is about shopping (albeit with a social conscience) here is A Social Shopper's ten easy ways to celebrate Earth Day.
1. Jack Johnson Best of Kokua Festival CD features live tracks with Dave Matthews, Eddie Vedder and more. All proceeds benefit conservation groups in Jack's native Hawaii. Available on itunes for $9.99. If you've been to Hawaii you know it's worth preserving! Great music for a great cause.
2. Kiehl's Limited Edition Label Art series of skin care products in honor of Earth Day. Proceeds from the series will benefit Recycle Across America, a nonprofit organization with the mission of making it easier to reduce, reuse and recycle. Available at Nordstrom.
3. Caribou Coffee is the first ever major coffee company to offer 100% Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee and espresso. This coffee tastes great and can be found in most grocery chains. Find out the importance of Rainforest Alliance.
4. American Greetings lets you send a free Earth Day E-Card to a friend or loved one. This e-card is beautifully designed complete with music to calm the soul and a John Muir quote to open the mind.
5. Barnes & Noble features a bouquet of eco-friendly children's books so you can get your little ones keyed into Earth Day now. These books teach kids about nature and the environment and inspire them to love and respect the earth and its resources.
6. Target is handing out FREE recycle bags on Earth Day. If you're not already using them you should be. Get there early before they're gone.
7. Tom's Shoes offers sustainable styles. This line of shoes is made with pesticide-free fabric, recycled and sustainable materials and they're vegan too! Available in adult and kid sizes. Tom's is once again ahead of the curve.
8. 'One Day On Earth' is a documentary about the amazing diversity, conflict, tragedy, and triumph that occurs in one 24-hour period on this planet. Go to one of the many free screening events worldwide on Earth Day. Here is a sneak peek result of this incredible project.
9. Travelocity's Eco-Friendly Vacations offers 40% off if you book your summer vacation at a certified eco-friendly hotel. Also check out all the eco-friendly vacation ideas thru their Travel for Good program.
10. Pottery Barn Kids is giving out packets of free sunflower seeds on April 21st and 22nd in association with National Geographic. Get your seeds, plant your garden, and watch them grow. This is a great activity for family bonding and a fun way to get your kids involved in Earth Day.
|Happy Earth Day!|